Arlington’s annual operating budget outlines spending on County services and administration for the coming fiscal year, which begins July 1. The County Manager and County Board are committed to engaging the Arlington community in setting budget priorities.
Latest News & Information
- FY 2020 Preliminary Results and FY 2021 Update (10/20/20)
- FY 2021 Revenue Budget Update to the County Board (9/15/20)
- County Manager’s Revised Budget, Capital Project Deferral Recommendations (6/17/20)
- FY 2021 Adopted Budget is Available
- FY 2021 County Board Adopted Budget Guidance
- Arlington County Board Adopts FY 2021 Budget
- COVID-19 Results in a Revised Budget Proposal Focused on Essential Services and Critical Needs
How You Can Get Involved
Work sessions are an opportunity for the County Board to review the County Manager’s proposed budget department by department. Watch past sessions.
Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter and get the latest about the FY 2020 budget and many other topics.
Step 1: County Manager Gathers Input
When: Fall/Winter 2019-20
The County Manager gathered input from his leadership team, County employees, the County Board and the Arlington community. This input will help frame and develop the Manager’s Proposed Budget, which he presented to the Board in February.
- County Board Budget Guidance for FY 2021
- FY 2021 Budget Engagement (11/7/19-1/19/20)
Step 2: Proposed Budget Released
When: Feb. 20 & 25, 2020 and Apr. 6, 2020
The County Manager presented his Proposed FY 2021 Budget to the County Board at a Board work session and at the monthly Board meeting in February and a Revised FY 2021 Budget in April.
- County Manager’s Revised FY 2021 Budget Presentation (4/6/2020)
- County Manager’s Proposed FY 2020 Budget – Full Document (2/23/20)
- County Manager’s Proposed FY 2020 Budget – Overview (2/20/20)
Step 3: County Board Gathers Feedback
When: March–April 2020
The County Board hosted a series of work sessions with County agencies and held a virtual public hearing on Apr. 23 as it considered the Manager’s budget proposal.
Step 4: Final Adoption by County Board
When: April 2020
Following extensive review and consideration, the County Board adopted the final FY 2021 operating budget.
More About the Budget
Arlington County’s budget follows an annual cycle, with the fiscal year starting July 1 and ending June 30. The fiscal year budget serves as the annual operating plan and is one of the three major strategic documents in the County regarding planning, in conjunction with the County Comprehensive Plan.
During the fiscal year, the Department of Management and Finance reviews the current budget at midyear and for the closeout of the fiscal year. As part of developing an annual budget, the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC) provides further review of the County Manager’s proposed budget. The County’s budget process is consistent each year, though specific dates may change.