Arlington’s annual operating budget outlines spending on County programs, services and administration for the coming fiscal year, which begins July 1. The County Manager and County Board are committed to engaging the Arlington community in setting budget priorities.
Latest News & Information
- FY 2021 County Board Adopted Budget Guidance
- Arlington County Board Adopts FY 2021 Budget (4/30/20)
- Register Now for FY 2021 Budget and Tax Rate Hearings Set for Thurs., April 23
- COVID-19 Results in a Revised Budget Proposal Focused on Essential Services and Critical Needs (4/6/20)
- County Manager’s Revised FY 2021 Budget Presentation
- County Board Advertises No Real Estate Tax Increase in 2020 (2/25/20)
- Proposed FY 2021 Budget Focuses on Foundational Areas, Innovation (2/20/20)
- County Manager’s FY 2021 Proposed Budget Presentation
- Commercial, Residential Property Values See Measured Growth for 2020 (1/17/20)
- FY 2021 County Board Budget Guidance
Step 1: County Manager Gathers Input
When: Fall/Winter 2019-20
The County Manager gathered input from his leadership team, County employees, the County Board and the Arlington community. This input helped frame and develop the Manager’s Proposed Budget, which he presented to the Board on Feb. 20.
Step 2: Proposed Budget Released
When: Feb. 2020
The County Manager presented his Proposed FY 2021 Budget to the County Board at a Board work session and at the monthly Board meeting in February.
Step 3: County Board Gathers Feedback
When: March–April 2020
The County Board hosts a series of work sessions with County agencies to learn more about the specifics of their budget proposals. The Board also holds two public hearings and gathers feedback online as it considers the Manager’s budget proposal. All sessions are held in the County Board Room. They are also cablecast and live-streamed on Arlington TV.
Step 4: Final Adoption by County Board
When: April 2020
Following extensive review and consideration, the County Board adopts the final FY 2021 operating budget.
More About the Budget
Arlington County’s budget follows an annual cycle, with the fiscal year starting July 1 and ending June 30. The fiscal year budget serves as the annual operating plan and is one of the three major strategic documents in the County regarding planning, in conjunction with the County Comprehensive Plan.
During the fiscal year, the Department of Management and Finance reviews the current budget at midyear and for the closeout of the fiscal year. As part of developing an annual budget, the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC) provides further review of the County Manager’s proposed budget. The County’s budget process is consistent each year, though specific dates may change.