Arlington’s annual operating budget outlines spending on County services and administration for the coming fiscal year, which begins July 1. The County Manager and County Board are committed to engaging the Arlington community in setting budget priorities.
Latest News & Information
- FY 2020 County Board Adopted Budget Guidance
- Arlington County Board Adopts FY 2020 Budget
- FY 2019 Mid-year/ 3rd Quarter Memorandum (4/15/19)
- Work Session Follow Up Responses (3/30/19)
- Work Session Schedule and Presentations Posted (2/21/19)
How You Can Get Involved
Work sessions are an opportunity for the County Board to review the County Manager’s proposed budget department by department. Watch past sessions.
Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter and get the latest about the FY 2020 budget and many other topics.
Step 1: County Manager Gathers Input
When: Fall/Winter 2018-19
The County Manager will gather input from his leadership team, County employees, the County Board and the Arlington community. This input will help frame and develop the Manager’s Proposed Budget, which he will present to the Board in February.
- Arlington Property Values Rise in 2019, But Budget Choices Remain (1/25/19)
- County Board Budget Guidance for FY 2020 (11/28/18)
- FY 2018 Close-out and Implications for FY 2020 Budget (10/20/18)
- WATCH: FY 2020 Budget Virtual Town Hall (10/17/18)
- Early Budget Outlook for FY 2020 (9/25/18)
Step 2: Proposed Budget Released
When: Feb. 21 & 23, 2019
The County Manager presented his Proposed FY 2020 Budget to the County Board at a Board work session and again at the monthly Board meeting in February.
- County Manager’s Proposed FY 2020 Budget – Full Document (2/23/19)
- County Manager’s Proposed FY 2020 Budget – Overview (2/21/19)
Step 3: County Board Gathers Feedback
When: Feb.–Apr. 2019
The County Board hosted a series of work sessions with County agencies and hold two public hearings — on Apr. 2 & 4 — as it considered the Manager’s budget proposal.
Step 4: Final Adoption by County Board
When: Apr. 2019
Following extensive review and consideration, the County Board adopted the final FY 2020 operating budget.
More About the Budget
Arlington County’s budget follows an annual cycle, with the fiscal year starting July 1 and ending June 30. The fiscal year budget serves as the annual operating plan and is one of the three major strategic documents in the County regarding planning, in conjunction with the County Comprehensive Plan.
During the fiscal year, the Department of Management and Finance reviews the current budget at midyear and for the closeout of the fiscal year. As part of developing an annual budget, the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC) provides further review of the County Manager’s proposed budget. The County’s budget process is consistent each year, though specific dates may change.