The FY 2019 Adopted Budget is available. (View Budget)
Arlington’s annual operating budget outlines spending on County services and administration for the coming fiscal year, which begins July 1. The County Manager and County Board are committed to engaging the Arlington community in setting budget priorities.
Latest Budget News & Information
- FY 2019 Mid-year/ 3rd Quarter Memorandum (4/15/19)
- The FY 2019 Budget is Available
- News Release: Adopted FY 2019 Budget News Release
- County Board Adopted FY 2019 Budget Guidance
- FY 2018 Budget Mid-year Review is Available
|Thu, Feb. 22||County Manager presents Proposed Budget (View Budget)|
|Feb.-Apr. 2018||Board Work Sessions to review budget details by department (Get Schedule and View Meetings)|
|Tue, Apr. 3||Public Budget Hearing (Watch the Video)|
|Thu, Apr. 5||Public Tax Rate(s) Hearing (Watch the Video)|
|Sat, Apr. 21||County Board adopts final budget (View Adopted Budget)|
How You Can Get Involved
Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter and get the latest about the FY 2019 Budget and how you can get involved. Learn more.
Step 1: County Manager Gathers Input
When: Fall 2017
The County Manager hosted a series of budget roundtables in the fall of 2017 to gather feedback from County residents, nonprofit organizations and business leaders. The Manager also received budget guidance from the County Board in November 2017. This input will help frame and develop the Manager’s Proposed Budget, which he will present in February.
- FY 2019 Budget Guidance from the County Board
- FY 2019 Budget Roundtable Summary
- FY 2019 Public feedback gathered via Engage Arlington
- FY 2019 Budget Forecast Overview
Step 2: Proposed Budget Released
When: Feb. 22 & 24, 2018
The County Manager released his Proposed Budget for FY 2019 on Feb. 22, 2018, during a work session with the County Board. He presented the budget again at the County Board’s Regular Meeting on Sat., Feb. 24.
- FY 2019 Proposed Budget (2/24/18)
- News Release: Tough Choices, Focus on Priorities in FY 2019 Proposed Budget (2/22/18)
- News Release: County Board Votes for No Tax Rate Increase (2/24/18)
Step 3: County Board Gathers Feedback
When: Feb.–Apr. 2018
To gather input before adopting a final FY 2019 budget, the County Board hosted a series of work sessions with County agencies, held two public hearings, and solicited public feedback online. Public hearings took place Apr. 3 & 5.
- Board Work Session & Public Hearing Schedule and Presentations
- FY 2019 Budget Work Session Follow Up Responses (3/29/18)
Step 4: Final Adoption by County Board
When: Apr. 21, 2018
- FY 2019 Adopted Budget (6/26/18)
The Board adopted the FY 2019 operating budget at its Regular Meeting on Apr. 21, 2018.
Click here to view the County Board’s budget balancing tool used for final budget decisions.
More About the Budget
Arlington County’s budget follows an annual cycle, with the fiscal year starting July 1 and ending June 30. The fiscal year budget serves as the annual operating plan and is one of the three major strategic documents in the County regarding planning, in conjunction with the County Comprehensive Plan.
During the fiscal year, the Department of Management and Finance reviews the current budget at midyear and for the closeout of the fiscal year. As part of developing an annual budget, the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC) provides further review of the County Manager’s proposed budget. The County’s budget process is consistent each year, though specific dates may change.