The Budget Process
Arlington County’s budget follows an annual cycle, with the fiscal year starting July 1 and ending June 30. The fiscal year budget serves as the annual operating plan and is one of the three major strategic documents in the County regarding planning, in conjunction with the Annual Management Plan and the County Comprehensive Plan.
During the fiscal year, the Department of Management and Finance reviews the current budget at midyear and for the closeout of the fiscal year. As part of developing an annual budget, the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC) provides further review of the County Manager’s proposed budget. The County’s budget process is consistent each year, though specific dates may change.
FY 2016 Adopted Budget Highlights
On April 21, 2015, the Arlington County Board adopted a $1.16 billion General Fund Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2016. It includes no tax rate hike while adding funding for Schools and economic development to the County Manager’s Proposed Budget.
- FY 2016 Adopted Budget
- FY 2016 Mid-Year / 3rd Quarter Memo
- No real estate tax rate increase. The real estate tax rate will remain at $.996 per $100 of assessed value, the same level as CY 2014 (including the sanitary district tax).
- Overall average increase in residential real estate assessments of 4.9 percent and a 1.8 percent increase in the water-sewer rate. The average homeowner will see their tax and fee burden rise 4 percent from the previous year. That translates to about $23 a month or $281 a year.
- Additional funding for maintaining the social safety net priorities, economic development, public safety, and an internal auditor.
- The County Board provided $451.6 million in ongoing funding for Schools, fully funding the School Board’s Proposed Budget.
- County Board FY 2016 Adopted Budget Guidance and Notes
- Fiscal Year 2015 Mid-Year Review
FY 2015 Adopted Budget Highlights
On April 22, 2014, the Arlington County Board adopted a $1.15 billion General Fund Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2015.
Summary of Adopted Tax Rates (per $100/assessed value)
|TAX CATEGORIES||CY 2014||CY 2015|
|Real Estate (base rate)||$0.983||$0.983|
|Rosslyn Business Improvement District (BID)||$0.078||$0.078|
|Crystal City BID||$0.043||$0.043|
|Commercial Transportation District||$0.125||$0.125|